Updated: Jan 3, 2019
Start off your meal prep routine with a cuban rice bowl that will leave you satisfied and maybe speaking a little Spanish afterwards! Caliente!
1 & 1/2 cup dried black beans, (picked over and rinsed)
2 large green bell peppers (halved, stemmed, and seeded)
1 large onion, peeled and halved crosswise
1 head garlic
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
2 tablespoons lime Juice
1 Jalapeño minced
2 scallions sliced thin
Prep bowls and fixins (chopped tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, etc.)
1. Dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons salt in 2 quarts cold water in large container.
Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain and rinse well.
2. In Dutch oven, combine drained beans, 4 cups water, 1 bell pepper half, 1 onion half (with root end), halved garlic head, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until beans are just soft, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Discard pepper, onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Drain beans in colander set over large bowl, reserving 3 cups bean cooking liquid. (If you don’t have enough cooking liquid, add water as needed to measure 3 cups.)
4. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut remaining bell peppers and onion into 2‑inch pieces and pulse in food processor until chopped into rough 1/4‑inch pieces, about 6-8 pulses, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.Add oil to now-empty pot and heat over medium heat until shimmering.
5. Add processed peppers and onion, cumin, oregano, and tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in minced garlic for 1 minute.
6. Stir in rice and cook for 30 seconds.Stir in beans, reserved bean cooking liquid. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to simmer. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Fluff rice with fork and and add jalapeno and scallions.